Monday, January 23, 2012

Challenging Conditions, but Great Day of IFR Flying

Instructor Marty Fass,
a valuable teacher  
Jan. 21, 11 p.m.: Today was an amazing experience for me. The weather in San Marcos, Texas was bad, but it was below ceiling, not above, so my instructor Marty Fass flew IFR (instrument flight regulations) today with me. He actually let me fly IFR up to 6,500 feet. It was amazing. It was the first time in my life in which I flew above the clouds; it was so beautiful that I flew on instruments halfway to Gillespie County, which is where I will do my solo cross country in the next couple of days.


I flew to Gillespie County, Texas then did a stop and go, continuing to Llano County. At Llano, I did one normal landing and then did a soft field, or turf, landing. It was amazing; I really enjoyed my flight today. But the best part was returning to San Marcos. The weather conditions were still really bad below so we set up for an IFR entry to approach for landing; the best part was that I got to do it with Marty. We were both flying as if we were in an airline, calling out minimums and decent rates. At 900 feet, we saw the runway and Marty and I landed together. I never stop thinking of how lucky I am to have an instructor as great as Marty.
—Erika Barcenes

No comments:

Post a Comment