Saturday, January 7, 2012

Great Weather for Flying

Saturday, Jan. 7, 4:30 p.m.: It has been four days since I arrived in San Marcos, Texas. Despite being jet-lagged and tired from travel, on the first night we received a warm welcome from Vaughn College and San Marcos Municipal Airport staff. We were welcomed with a nice steak dinner, which I enjoyed greatly. Every day since then, we have risen bright and early, at 8 a.m. sharp, and have worked hard on the online course, practiced flying on the simulators and studied preflight and safety procedures. Luckily, I completed the online coursework and was able to fly on Thursday (Jan 5). I was also given the chance to fly again on Friday (Jan. 6). I spend most of my time studying, reviewing safety and preflight procedures and flying on the simulator. I am very excited to continue learning and flying throughout my time here, even moreso because the airplanes are brand new and the simulators and other equipment are top of the line. The weather here is wonderful, especially for flying. I get to practice everything I learn in class in a manner that is hands on, putting all that I have done in school into perspective. Thankfully, the staff at San Marcos Municipal Airport is well trained, supportive and very helpful. I miss home; however, I am thrilled to have been given this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It is very challenging, but I am certain the hard work and studying will be worthwhile in the long run.
--Jaen Villalvir
Jaen Villalvir with his Cessna on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment