Monday, January 30, 2012

Time to Head Home; What an Experience

Jan. 27, 10 p.m.: Friday was our final day at Skyport. I went up for the last time to make sure that when I return I will be able to perform the standard maneuvers and landings needed for my check ride. The great news was that, while I was not perfect, I fell within PTS standards for the check ride.

Marty Fass has been a great instructor; I feel blessed to have worked him, as do Franklin (Pillcorema) and Ryan (Barren). My last days were amazing; I got to do a solo cross country flight to Gillespie, Texas and back for a total of 160 nautical miles. I even collected souvenirs from every stop. On my return, I landed at San Marcos, taxied to Skyport and was welcomed by Marty and congratulated. It truly has been the experience of a lifetime and one that I will never forget. 

Roger Sharp, Skyport’s general manager of flight operations, has been amazing to us all. He helped us to succeed in every way. Roger is a very funny and kind person, but when it is time for business he is sure serious. 

Mr. Emerson Allen, a 757 captain for Continental Airlines returned with his wife, Allison. He is a great mentor, and his many years of experience have helped us to study and understand the challenges and responsibilities that come with being a pilot. I look forward to working with them all again four weeks from now and successfully earning my private pilot certificate. Special thanks also to all Vaughn College faculty and staff who came down to Texas during our training. It truly meant a lot to have familiar faces around.
—Erika Barcenes

Vaughn student Erika Barcenes with Continental Airlines
757 pilot Emerson Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment